Main Purpose of Role:
To lead delivery of the Mechanical / Piping (M&P) discipline engineering services for the UK and Europe region in support of green and brown field projects and studies of varying size, duration and complexity for Clients in diverse energy, oil and gas and infrastructure related industry sectors.
Part of the Europe Engineering and Project Management Service Line based in Bristol, the role will also provide M&P support to the Europe Asset Management and Asset Integrity Service lines and occasionally other Regions.
- Ensure all work is carried out in accordance with corporate, project and client procedures, as well as Penspen Group ISO 9001 Accredited Quality System, including ISO 14001 Environmental Procedures and ISO 18001 Health and Safety Procedures.
- Grow and develop the M&P team and capabilities for the Bristol office.
- Develop and deliver M&P related scope for studies and projects from Feasibility and Concept, through FEED, Detailed Design, Procurement, Installation, Commissioning and Operational Engineering support.
- Provide technical direction and supervision of personnel and resources in the preparation of all M&P related deliverables including calculations, stress analysis, data sheets, material selection, layouts and arrangements, hook-up drawings, installation details, equipment specifications and material MTOs.
- Provide input to vendor review and pre-qualification, bid evaluations and clarifications, vendor meetings, contracting strategy and M&P package deliverables.
- Promote effective communication and co-ordination within M&P and across other disciplines and Regions, and encourage sharing of best practice.
- Participate in site visits, Project reviews, HAZOPs and Design Reviews.
- Assist Business Stream Management in preparing proposals by providing M&P input.
- Maintain awareness of project CTRs and activity hours. Highlight any potential project time overrun to the Project Manager. Work to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the design process.
- Ensure statutory, company, client and project requirements are met for integrity, effectiveness, safety and robustness.
Knowledge / Experience (Skills):
- Extensive relevant M&P experience in an engineering consultancy environment.
- A broad M&P related technical background in the design of several of the following: oil / gas / energy sectors; onshore and offshore pipelines and facilities; mid-stream; storage / tank farms; process plants; petrochem plants; FPSO.
- Construction and operations or operations support experience.
- Excellent knowledge of fundamental requirements of M&P engineering and basic requirements of other engineering disciplines.
- Experience of direct supervision of engineering team and demonstrable ability to deliver efficient analytical solutions to engineering design tasks.
- Ability to work independently and effectively under pressure and maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times.
- Working in multi-disciplinary projects and teams.
- Extensive experience of relevant National and International Standards and Codes of Practice (ASTM, API, NACE, IP, BS, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal, communication, man management and customers service skills.
- Experience in feasibility, concept selection, FEED and detailed design, stress analysis.
- Experience in the regulated industry. G17/ GL5 approver/ Appraiser qualifications along with practical Authorising Engineer/ Competent Person experience desirable.
- Ability to effectively manage and direct Senior Mechanical Engineers and Mechanical Engineers working under pressure to project deadlines and be able to prioritize own and others workload.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant M&P field.
- Chartered member of IMechE or other equivalent institution desirable.