Main Purpose of Role:
Reporting to Penspen’s Engineering Manager this exciting and important role will spearhead delivery of Pipeline engineering services across Penspen’s UK and Europe region in support of green and brown field projects and studies of varying size, duration and complexity for Clients throughout energy, oil and gas and infrastructure industry sectors.
As part of the Engineering and Project Management, team based in Bristol (UK), the role will also provide support to the Penspen’s European Asset Management and Asset Integrity businesses.
- Lead projects for execution of pipeline engineering and develop full scope of project including FEED, detail design, procurement, installation inspection, testing and commissioning.
- Understand design, fabrication and construction incorporating applicable codes and Standards (ASME B31.4/B31.8, BS PD 8010, IGEM/TD/1, API 5L, API 6D, etc.) and raise deviations where necessary.
- Responsible for co-ordination/ completion of pipeline design and engineering within a multi-disciplinary project team on projects associated with oil and gas pipelines, treatment plants, gathering and transmission systems, gas compression, metering and pressure reduction stations, crude oil and multi-product (white oil) pumping and metering stations, storage, distribution facilities and FPSO.
- Performs calculations and checks on pipeline drawings to ensure compliance with basis of design and code requirements.
- Understand basics of pipeline hydraulic modelling and flow assurance and coordinate all other pipeline work, e.g. review of AGI 3D models, ArcGIS, etc.
- Liaise with clients on a technical level to ensure their needs are being met and ensuring they are aware of data input requirements to allow projects to proceed on schedule.
- Awareness of project CTRs and activity hours. Highlight any potential project time overrun to the Project Manager. Work to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the design process.
- Create, check and approve project deliverables – as directed by Engineering Manager.
- Proactively assist and support project management with project planning activities, scheduling, and resourcing and in establishing guidelines for initiation of new approaches to work and projects.
- Provide technical input to bids and proposals. Understand standard contract requirements and scope, including Cost Reimbursable and Lump Sum Turn Key contract approaches.
- Undertake visits to site, company and client offices to facilitate design work and resolve project problems.
- Mentor and develop less experienced engineers.
Knowledge / Experience / Skills:
- Possess an excellent technical background in the design of onshore/offshore pipelines with additional knowledge of crude oil tank farms, process plants and petroleum refineries, FPSO, etc.
- Extensive experience of relevant National and International Standards and Codes of Practice.
- Practical exposure to the EPC sector of oil and gas industry. Construction / Site experience desirable.
- Demonstrable ability to deliver efficient analytical solutions to engineering design tasks.
- Good computer literacy with pipeline design software, MS Excel, Word, Outlook, Windows, etc.
- Ability to work independently and effectively under pressure and maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times.
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate with Senior Management and Clients, as required by Business Stream.
- Flexibility to work within team environment.
- An engineering degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline. M.Sc. in pipeline engineering would be advantageous.
- Chartered membership of an appropriate institution is desirable.