The ‘Hydrogen Pipeline Toolkit’ will be designed with multiple modules to enable engineers to understand what the impact of hydrogen will be within their network. The key modules are as follows:
- Capacity – measuring the capacity of the pipeline to handle natural gases alongside hydrogen, based upon look-up tables. The module will also be able to calculate flow rates and the max energy based on inlet and outlet conditions and velocity limitations for the gas.
- Material Compatibility – deciphering the most appropriate material(s) needed for the asset
- Impact Radius – a provided map of impact on a pipeline for hydrogen as well as natural gas
- Stored Energy – calculating the energy stored in the pipeline based on min max pressure readings
- MAOP (Maximum Allowable Operating Pressure) – calculating the MAOP based on the steel grade, manufacturing tolerance and pressure (hydrogen & construction data)
- Fatigue Assessment – assessing the fatigue level of the asset, including the fatigue crack growth rate (which will require published data)